Monday, August 16, 2010

Joys and "Oh No's" of Soap Making

I made soap this weekend.  Trying to stock up for the Hunsaders Pumpkin Festival in October, and since soap can take 4 to 6 weeks to cure, I am working hard now.

Still working with a few new fragrances, which means, I don't know how it will react when I am in the trenches. 

The first fragrance that I worked with was one called "Blue Man" from Brambleberry.  It is a Men's fragrance that I have to admit, I didn't like in the bottle.  But once it was in the mix and being poured, it smelled wonderful.  The coloring started out as a white, blue and green.  After one day in the mold, this is the result.

The green stayed, the blue turned to grey.  It doesn't look too bad, but I will have to wait and see how it looks tomorrow afternoon.  I didn't have my camera with me when this was first poured.  I wish I could show you the difference! 

The next one was a Pumpkin Brulee with green clay.  Green clay is a wonderful for the skin.  I was excited about this one!  The colors were vibrant and it smelled like you could have eaten it. 


So, again, new fragrance, which caused it to start to set up a little too early.  This causes it not to pour smoothly.  Since that happened, you can see a few cracks in the vein line.  Not good, because with a little pressure, you get this:

And no, it isn't supposed to be 2 bars of soap!

Last, but not least was Sweet Pea and Rhubarb.  And can I just say, "Oh, MY!"  This fragrance is yummy.  This is what it looked like when poured.

Isn't she pretty?

This is what it looked like once cut.

First, let me just say I apologize for the quality of the pictures.  It was dark out and my kitchen takes on a yellow tone.  (It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that my walls are bright yellow!)  You can see in this one that the coral color almost vanished completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment